Education & Academic Qualifications
- 1967-1973: Medical School, University of Athens, Greece.
- June 1973: Medical Degree (Magna Cum Laude), University of Athens, Greece. Valedictorian of the class.
- 1975-1977: Pediatric Resident, Agia Sophia Children’s, Athens, Greece.
- 1978-1980: Senior Resident in Pediatrics, University of Western Ontario, Chief Resident, St Joseph’s Hospital, London, Ontario, Canada.
- 1980-1982: Fellow of Nephrology, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto.
- 1982-2002: Consultant Pediatric Nephrologist, A. and P. Kyriakou Children’s Hospital, Athens, Greece.
- 2002-2017: Head of Pediatric Nephrology, A. and P. Kyriakou Children’s Hospital, Athens, Greece.
- 2008-2017: Pediatric Medical Director, A. and P. Kyriakou Children’s Hospital, Athens, Greece.
- 1997: President of the 31st Meeting of ESPN.
- 1999-2002: Councilor of ESPN.
- 2007-2011: Chairman of the Tertiary Care Group of the European Academy of Paediatrics – UEMS Paediatric Section.
- 2005-2011: Editor in Chief of the Journal «Paediatriki» of the Greek Society of Pediatrics.
- 2009: Section Editor (Dialysis) of the journal «Pediatric Nephrology».
- 2010: Chair of the Organizing Committee of the 3rd Congress of the European Academy of Pediatric Societies, Copenhagen 2010.
- 2012: ESPN-ERA registry representative.
1984 PhD (Magna Cum Laude) of the Medical School of University of Athens.
Title: Growth of children on continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis.
- 2006-2012: Editor in Chief at «Pediatriki». The journal of the Greek Society of Pediatrics.
- 2010: Member of the editorial board of «Nefrologia». The journal of the Greek Society of Nephrology.
- 2006: Member of the Editorial Board of «Pediatric Nephrology». The International Society for Pediatric Nephrology.
Member of Medical Societies
- Greek Society of Pediatrics.
- Greek Society of Nephrology.
- International Society of Nephrology.
- European Society for Paediatric Nephrology.
- International Society for Paediatric Nephrology.
- International Society of Peritoneal Dialysis.
- International Society of Renal Nutrition and Metabolism.
- European Renal Association.
- European Paediatric Dialysis Working Group.
- Southeastern European Paediatric Nephrology Working Group.
- European Academy of Paediatrics.
- Grant of the Hospital for Sick Children Foundation, Toronto, Canada.
- Award of the best presentation of the Congress of the Greek Society of Nephrology.
- Award of the best presentation of the 6th Southeastern European Pediatric Nephrology Working Group Congress.
Chapters in textbooks
- J.W. Balfe, C.J. Stefanidis, I.K. Hewitt. Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis; Clinical Aspects. Editors: R.N. Fine, A.B. Gruskin, Children with end stage renal disease, Philadelpia. W.B. Saunders Company 1984.
- Stefanidis CJ, Emanouil G. Efficiency of high volume continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis in children. Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis. Editors: Μ. Avram and C. Giordano, 1990.
3. Rzchiladse IG, Stefanidis CJ Practical organization of a pediatric center. Handbook of the European Society for Pediatric Nephrology, 2002.
- Stefanidis CJ. Nutritional and growth aspects of the care of children with kidney disease. Growth and nutrition of children with chronic renal failure. Hogg R, editor. “Kidney Disorders in Children and Adolescents”. Oxford: Taylor & Francis; 2006. 215-223.
- Hadjipanayis A, Ed P, Stefanidis CJ. Disorders of the urinary tract. European Mastercourse in Paediatrics Editors-in-chief: Alfed Tenore and Malcolm Leven. Churchill Livingstone Elevier, 2011
- Long-term renal outcome in children with OCRL mutations: retrospective analysis of a large international cohort. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2018 33(1):85-94.
- Bakkaloğlu SA, Özdemir Atikel Y, Paglialonga F, Stefanidis CJ, et al. Vaccination Practices in Pediatric Dialysis Patients Across Europe. A European Pediatric Dialysis Working Group and European Society for Pediatric Nephrology Dialysis Working Group Study. Nephron. 2017. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 29232664
- Shroff R, Wan M, Nagler EV, Bakkaloglu S, Cozzolino M, Bacchetta J, Edefonti A, Stefanidis CJ, et al. Clinical practice recommendations for treatment with active vitamin D analogues in children with chronic kidney disease Stages 2-5 and on dialysis. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2017;32(7):1114-1127.
- Shroff R, Wan M, Nagler EV, Bakkaloglu S, Fischer DC, Bishop N, Cozzolino M, Bacchetta J, Edefonti A, Stefanidis CJ, et al. Clinical practice recommendations for native vitamin D therapy in children with chronic kidney disease Stages 2-5 and on dialysis. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2017; 32(7):1098-1113.
- Miklaszewska M, Korohoda P, Zachwieja K, Kobylarz K, Stefanidis CJ, Sobczak A, Drożdż D. Filter Size Not the Anticoagulation Method is the Decisive Factor in Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy Circuit Survival. Kidney Blood Press Res. 2017; 42(2):327-337.
- Tjaden LA, Jager KJ, Bonthuis M, Kuehni CE, Lilien MR, Seeman T, Stefanidis CJ, Tse Y, Harambat J, Groothoff JW, Noordzij M. Racial variation in cardiovascular disease risk factors among European children on renal replacement therapy-results from the European Society for Paediatric Nephrology/European Renal Association – European Dialysis and Transplant Association Registry. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2017 ;32(11):1908-1917.
- Garoufi A, Drapanioti S, Marmarinos A, Askiti V, Mitsioni AJ, Mila M, Grigoriadou G, Georgakopoulos D, Stefanidis CJ, Gourgiotis D. Plasma Urotensin II levels in children and adolescents with chronic kidney disease: a single-centre study. BMC Nephrol. 2017; 31 18(1):113.
- Karavanaki KA, Soldatou A, Koufadaki AM, Tsentidis C, Haliotis FA, Stefanidis CJ. Delayed treatment of the first febrile urinary tract infection in early childhood increased the risk of renal scarring. Acta Paediatr. 2017; 106(1):149-154.
- Wright E, Fischbach M, Zaloszyc A, Paglialonga F, Aufricht C, Dufek S, Bakkaloğlu S, Klaus G, Zurowska A, Ekim M, Ariceta G, Holtta T, Jankauskiene A, Schmitt CP, Stefanidis CJ et al. Hemodialysis in children with ventriculoperitoneal shunts: prevalence, management and outcomes. Pediatr Nephrol. 2016; 31(1):137-43.
- Stergiou GS, Vazeou A, Stabouli S, Ntineri A, Kollias A, Boubouchairopoulou N, Kapogiannis A, Stefanidis CJ. Screening for hypertension in children and adolescents: the controversy, the research questions and a plan for action. J Hypertens. 2016 ;33(7):1359-63.