Centers of Excellence
The Pediatric Nephrology Department offers comprehensive services for the diagnosis and treatment of neonates, infants, children and adolescents presenting with conditions of the kidneys and urinary tract, or with arterial hypertension.
It works closely with the Pediatric Urology Department, providing coordinated management of patients with congenital conditions of the kidneys and urinary tract, such as children with nephrolithiasis or bladder diseases.
Some of the procedures performed at the Pediatric Nephrology Department include ultrasound-guided percutaneous renal biopsies as well as dialysis on children with acute kidney injury. Doctors from other pediatric specialties are involved in the treatment of many of the children.
We treat the following conditions in infants, children and adolescents:
- Congenital urinary tract conditions
- Hereditary kidney diseases
- Rare diseases with kidney involvement, in partnership with special genetic centers abroad
- Filtering disorders, with nephrotic syndrome being the most frequent, and collagen diseases with kidney involvement, in partnership with pediatric rheumatologists
- Renal tubulopathies
- Diabetes kidney disease, in partnership with pediatric endocrinologists
- Arterial hypertension, in partnership with pediatric cardiologists
- Chronic kidney disease
- Acute kidney injury