Education & Academic Qualifications
- Athens Medical School, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
- Radiology Residence in 2nd Department of Radiology, Athens Medical School, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
- Fellowship in Pediatric Radiology in Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, NHS Trust, London, UK
- PhD in Athens Medical School, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, titled: “Metallic stents. Application in treatment of iliac artery atherosclerotic disease”, 15/1/2004
Scientific societies’ membership, reviewer
- Hellenic Radiological Society
- CIRSE (Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiological Society of Europe)
- European Society of Radiology (ESR)
- RSNA (Radiological society of North America)
- General Medical Council – UK
- ESPR (European Society of Pediatric Radiology)
- Acta Paediatrica
- Journal of Neurosciences in Rural Practice
- Journal of Cancer and Clinical Oncology
- European Journal of Radiology
- Hellenic Radiology
Previous professional experience
- Consultant Radiologist in Greek National Health System, 2nd Department of Radiology, Athens Medical School, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Attikon Hospital (2007
- Consultant Pediatric Radiologist in Royal London Hospital NHS Trust, London, UK (2005
- Pediatric Radiology Fellow in Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust, London, UK (2004, 2005)
- Scientific Associate in 2nd Department of Radiology, Athens Medical School, Eugenidion Hospital (2001-2004)
Clinical and Research Interest
- Pediatric Radiology, Fetal MRI
- Special application of Pediatric MRI (MR enterography, MR Urography)
- Scholarship from the Greek Association of Ship Owners for Transhellenic Examinations (1989
- Foti Scholarship from University of Athens for fellowship abroad
- Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiological Society of Europe (CIRSE) Foundation Education Grant 2005 for the interventional department of Pediatric Radiology in Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust, London, UK
- Best oral presentation award in First Mediterranean Congress on Interventional Diagnosis for Thorax Diseases, 1996
- Best poster presentation award in 9th Transhellenic Oncology Congress, 1997
- Presentation award in 1st Transhellenic Biomedical Technology Congress, 1998
- Top 50 presentaion award in ESGAR, 14th Annual Meeting and Postgraduate Course, 2003
- Certificate of Reviewing European Journal of Radiology, July 2015 – 2016
- Outstanding educational poster award from WFPI in IPR pediatric radiology meeting, May 2016
- 2016 Paediatric Virology Award in Paediatric Radiology during 2nd Workshop on Paediatric Virology, 21st World Congress on Advances in Oncology & 19th International Symposium of Molecular Medicine, October 6-8, 2016, Athens, Greece
Authorship in scientific books
- Chapter “Imaging diagnosis and follow-up of congenital lung anomalies” in “Inherited and Congenital Lung disease”, 3rd Pediatric Clinic of University of Athens, p 172-186, 2nd Volume, Athens 2012
- Chapter “Imaging Principles in Pediatric Oncology” in “Imaging in Clinical Oncology”. G. Papaioannou, K. McHugh. Imaging Principles in Pediatric Oncology. Editors: AD Gouliamos, JA Andreou, PA Kosmidis. Springer 2013. Chapter 5, pgs 65-71. DOI: 10.1007/978-88-470-5385-4_5, @ Springer-Verlag Italia 2014.
- 4 chapters in “PET/CT in Lymphomas”. Lymphomas in Children and Adolescents: 17.3 Imaging Investigation in Children and Adolescents with Hodgkin and Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. G. Papaioannou, V. Prassopoulos (pp290-293). 18. Hodgkin Lymphoma in Children. D. Doganis, G. Papaioannou, V. Prassopoulos (pp 295-304). 20. Burkitt and Burkitt-Like Lymphomas in Children and Adolescents (Sporadic or Endemic B Mature): Introduction. M. Servitzoglou, H. Dana, T. Pipikos, G. Papaioannou (pp 313-325). 22. Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma in Children and Adolescents. M. Baka-Kagia, V. Prassopoulos, G. Papaioannou (pp 357-362). Springer 2016. DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-27380-8, @Springer International publishing Switzerland 2016.
- L.Thanos, T.Dailiana, G.Papaioannou, A.Nikita, H.Koutrouvelis, D.A.Kelekis. Percutaneous CT-Guided Drainage of Splenic Abscess. AJR 2002; 179:629-632.
- G.Papaioannou, K.McHugh. Investigation of an abdominal mass in childhood. Imaging 2004; 16:1-10.
- G.Papaioannou, K.McHugh. Radiologic appearances of neuroblastoma in children. Cancer Imaging 2005; 5:116-127.
- G. Papaioannou, C. Owens, O.E. Olsen, A. Jaffe. Noninvasive assessment of pulmonary involvement in children with cystic fibrosis. Radiology, 13-6-2005.
- S. Saglani, G. Papaioannou, I. Khoo, PK Jeffery, C Owens, DM Hansell, DN Payne, A. Bush. Can HRCT be used as a marker of airway remodeling in children with difficult asthma? Respiratory Research 2006; 7:46.
- G. Papaioannou, C. Young, C. Owens. Volumetric CT of the Tracheobronchial tree. Radiology Update CME Journal, Rila Publications, 2006; 5(3):115-125.
- G. Papaioannou, C. Young, C. M. Owens. Multidetector row CT for imaging the paediatric tracheobronchial tree. Pediatr Radiol 2007; 37: 515-529. DOI 10.1007/s00247-007-0434-0.
- C. Owens, G. Papaioannou, A. Calder, C. Young. Volumetric CT of the Tracheobronchial Tree, Heart And Great Vessels In Children. The European Society of Paediatric Radiology Syllabus. 30th Postgraduate Course, 2007, 59-68.
- G. Papaioannou, NJ. Sebire, K. McHugh. Imaging of the unusual pediatric “blastomas”. Cancer Imaging 2009; 9:1-11.
- Α. Zellos, D. Zarganis, S. Ypsilandis, D. Chatzis, G. Papaioannou, C. Bartsocas. Malrotation of the Intestine and Chronic Volvulus as a Cause of Protein-losing Enteropathy in Infancy. Pediatrics 2012 Feb;129(2):e515-8. Epub 2012 Jan 23.
- G. Papaioannou, G. Koussidis, L. Michala. Magnetic resonance imaging visualization of a vaginal septum. Fertil Steril 2011; 96(5):1193-4.
- G. Papaioannou, I. Kambas, M. Tsaoussoglou, P. Panaghiotopoulou-Gartagani, G. Chrousos, A.G. Kaditis. Age-dependent changes in the size of adenotonsillar tissue in childhood: implications for sleep-disordered breathing. J Pediatr 2013 Feb; 162(2):269-274.e4.doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2012.07.041.Epub 2012 Aug 30.
- G. Papaioannou. Multimodality Imaging of Viral Infections in Children: CNS and beyond. Int J Mol Med 2016; 38: S65.
- S. Ypsilantis, E. Vassiliadou, G. Papaioannou, E. Yspilanti, A. Savva. Total excision of congenital mesenchymal hamartoma of the chest wall in newborn. J Pediatr Neonatal Care 2016; 4: 00152.
- Mammas IN, Theodoridou M, Kramvis A, Thiagarajan P, Gardner S, Papaioannou G, Melidou A, Koutsaki M, Kostagianni G, Achtsidis V, Koutsaftiki C, Calachanis M, Zaravinos A, Greenough A, Spandidos DA. Paediatric Virology: A rapidly increasing educational challenge. Exp Ther Med 2017;13:364-377.
- E.N.Brountzos, G.Papaioannou, E.Alexopoulou, D.A. Kelekis. Arteriovenous Malformation of the Foot: Management with Transcatheter Embolization with PVA and Alcohol. Case Club. www.scvir.org. Case 0200 05. (January 2000)
- Papaioannou G, Tavernaraki K, Kelekis DA. Myositis ossificans of the gluteal muscles. URL: http://www.eurorad.org/case.php?id=3091 May 5 2008
- Papaioannou G, Nassis N, Kelekis DA. Transitional cell carcinoma of the ureter demonstrated with computed-tomography. URL: http://www.eurorad.org/case.php?id=3085, Apr 30 2009
- G. Papaioannou. Panorama HFO ideal for fetal and pediatric scans. NetForum Community, 2010
Organizing committee in international meetings
ESPR 2012, May 28-June 1 2012, Athens, Greece
Lectures in recent international meetings
- G.Papaioannou. Bone Tumors. ESPR 2012, May 28-June 1 2012, Athens, Greece. S442-443
- G. Papaioannou. Pediatric GI Ultrasound. “Appendicitis”. 27th Congress of the European Federation of Societies for Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, Euroson 2015, November 6-8 2015, Athens.
- G. Papaioannou. Multimodality imaging of viral infections in Children; CNS and beyond. 2nd Workshop on Paediatric Virology, 21st World Congress on Advances in Oncology & 19th International Symposium of Molecular Medicine, October 6-8, 2016, Athens, Greece.
- E. Alexopoulou, A. Pastroma, G. Papaioannou, M. Raissaki. Imaging interstitial lung disease in children: update 2017. EPOS, A-103, invited speaker, ECR 2017, DOI: 10.1594/ecr2017/A-103.
- G.Papaioannou. Foetal and neonatal brain imaging in viral infections. 3rd Workshop on Paediatric Virology, 7th October 2017, Athens.
Presentations in recent international meetings
- G. Papaioannou, D. Loggitsi, I. Kampas, P. Trimis, N. Kritikos. Fetal MRI of posterior fossa in a high-field open magnet. ESPR 2012, May 28-June 1 2012, Athens, Greece. 83-SP, S50
- D. Loggitsi, G. Papaioannou, P. Tagalakis, N. Kritikos. Congenital left ventricular (LV) aneurysm in an 8-year old boy: a case report. ESPR 2012, May 28-June 1 2012, Athens, Greece. 255, S561
- D. Loggitsi, G. Papaioannou, I. Zampelis, N. Kritikos, A. Tzifa. Congenital malformations of the aortic archin paediatrics patients demonstrated by high field open (HFO) 1.0 Tesla MRI scanner. ESPR 2012, May 28-June 1 2012, Athens, Greece. 259, S562
- D. Loggitsi, G. Papaioannou, I. Spandonis, N. Kritikos, A. Tzifa. Imaging Congenital Heart Disease (CHD) in paediatric patients by high field open (HFO) 1.0 Tesla MRI scanner: a pictorial essay. ESPR 2012, May 28-June 1 2012, Athens, Greece. 13-SP, S477
- G. Papaioannou, A. Kaditis, E. Latoufi-Toliou, N. Kritikos. High-Resolution Chest CT in Infants and Young Children Applying the Controlled Ventilation Technique. RSNA 2012, November 25 – 30 2012, Chicago. LL-PDS-TU1D, p405
- D. Loggitsi, G. Papaioannou, A. Rousakis, F. Laspas, C. Mourmouris, N.Kritikos, A. Tzifa. Imaging congenital heart disease in children and adults by High Field Open (HFO) 1.0Tesla MRI scanner: a pictorial essay. Poster No: C-2302, EPOS DOI: 10.1594/ecr2013/C-2302, ESPR 2013
- D. Loggitsi, G. Papaioannou, R. Efthimiadou, D. Kehagias, V. Filippi, D. Savvidou, A. Roussakis, N.Kritikos. Congenital Uterine Anomalies: MR Imaging Findings using a high-field open MR scanner (1.0 T). Poster No: C-2442, EPOS DOI: 10.1594/ecr2013/C-2442, ESPR 2013
- Fitsios, E. Kalampalikis, G. Papaioannou, D.Nikolopoulos, E. Marouli. An usual evolution of preseptal cellulitis to subperiostean abscess. European Paediatric Ophthalmological Society 39th Annual Meeting, EPOS 2013, October 11-12, 2013. P58, p89.
- V. Tsitouras, G. Papaioannou, S. Sgouros. Increased failure rates of ETV for persistent hydrocephalus after posterior fossa tumor removal in children. Preliminary results and possibly contributing factors. 6th World Congress of Neuroendoscopy of the International Federation of Neuroendoscopy (IFNE). December 8-11, 2013. India. Journal of Neuroendoscopy 2013; 2 (1): 23
- G. Papaioannou, C. Meleti, G. Manganas, G. Rigas, G. Velonakis, J. Spigos, S. Yarmenitis, I. Andreou, D. Spigos. Can the iPad be used in the diagnosis of lung disease in Chest X-rays of neonates and infants?: Preliminary results. 37th Postgraduate Course & 51st Annual Meeting ESPR 2014 June 2-6, Amsterdam. O026, p 17
- P. Tagkalakis, I. Zabelis, P. Trimis, K.Tsatsaronis, G. Papaioannou, Ch.Paraskevopoulou. CT radiation dose in children: A survey to establish age-based diagnostic reference levels in MITERA hospital (a private Mediterranean hospital). 8th European Conference on Medical Physics, September 11-13 2014, Athens, Greece. O068, p27
- G. Papaioannou, E. Manopoulou, M. Tsaoussoglou, P. Panaghiotopoulou-Gartagani, G. Chrousos, A. Kaditis. Adenotonsilar tissue size in prematurely-borm children with snoring: An MRI study. European Respiratory Society 2015 International Congress, 26-30 September 2015, Amsterdam, PA4167
- P. Tagalakis, I. Zampelis, P. Trimis, C. Malamateniou, G. Papaioannou. Fetal body MRI: Is it feasible and diagnostic in a 1.0-Tesla open magnet? Practicalities and image quality evaluation. C-2228, ECR 2016, 2-6 March 2016, Vienna. DOI: 10.1594/ecr2016/C-2228
- E. Manopoulou, G. Magganas, C. Meleti, S. Yarmenitis, P. Tagalakis, G. Papaioannou. Beyond the sacral dimple: Imaging approach of the lumbrosacral spine in neonates and children. IPR 2016, 7th Conjoint Meeting and Exhibition. The International Pediatric Radiology. May 15-20 2016, Chicago IL, USA. EDU-021.
- G. Papaioannou, E. Manopoulou, I. Vraka, G. Magganas, S. Yarmenitis, J. Zambelis, N. Kritikos. MRI of the neonatal and pediatric orbit. . IPR 2016, 7th Conjoint Meeting and Exhibition. The International Pediatric Radiology. May 15-20 2016, Chicago IL, USA. EDU-025.
- G. Papaioannou, P. Tagalakis, C. Meleti, E. Manopoulou, S. Yarmenitis, N. Kritikos. Lumps and bumps of the head and neck in neonates, infants and children: spectrum of imaging findings. . IPR 2016, 7th Conjoint Meeting and Exhibition. The International Pediatric Radiology. May 15-20 2016, Chicago IL, USA. EDU-026.
- G. Papaioannou, C. Meleti, E. Manopoulou, D. Loggitsi, S. Yarmenitis, L. Michalas. Müllerian duct anomalies in adolescents and young women: correlation of hysterosalpingonraphy and MRI. PD157-ED-X. RSNA 2016, November 27 – December 2, 2016, Chicago IL, USA.
- E. Manopoulou, G. Manganas, C. Meleti, L. Tzarouchi, S. Yarmentitis, G. Papaioannou. Tilted head in children; what to expect when trauma is not the case. ControlNr:#0364, ESPR 2017, EPOS.
Chairing in international meetings
- Peripheral arterial disease. D. Kelekis, N. Batakis, G.Papaioannou. Athenian Days of Interventional Radiology 2004. Athens, May 20-23, 2004
- SS 1012 Pediatric: Abdominal and foetal Imaging. G. Kasprian, G. Papaioannou. ECR 2016, 2-6 March 2016, Vienna, p 310
- 2nd Workshop on Paediatric Virology. S. Gardner, G. Papaioannou. 21st World Congress on Advances in Oncology & 19th International Symposium of Molecular Medicine, October 6-8, 2016, Athens, Greece