Skoumas Vassilios Internist
Education & Academic Qualifications
- 1978-1984: Student at Medical School, University of Athens. Graduated with Merit
- 2/1985- 11/1986: Military Service: Served as medical doctor at 60th Redeployment Unit of Karditsa, House officer at 2nd Department of Internal Medicine, 401 Military Gen-eral Hospital, Athens
- 1/1987-1/1988: Country Medical Service (Rural Doctor)
- 2/1988-11/1988: House officer at Dpt of Medical Oncology, Hygeia Hospital, Athens
- 11/1988-2/1993: Resident doctor at 1st Dpt of Internal Medicine, University of Ath-ens
- 6/1993: Awarded the specialty of Internal Medicine
- 10/1993-11/1994: Registrar at 3rd Dpt of Internal Medicine, Hygeia Hospital, Athens
- 11/1994-11/1995: Honorary registrar and clinical research fellow at Dpt of Oncolo-gy, Charing Cross Hospital, Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School, University of London as recipient of scholarship by State Scholarships Foundation of Greece.
- 12/1995-2004: Senior Registrar at 1st Dpt of Internal Medicine, Hygeia Hospital of Athens
- 12/1995-Present: Running Private Office as specialist in Internal Medicine, Athens
- 2004-Present: Attending Physician at Hygeia Hospital of Athens
Clinical & Research Interest
Full range internal medicine; Dyslipidaemia in particular
Eur J Cancer. 1999 Jun;35(6):1014-9. XR3054, structurally related to limonene, is a novel inhibitor of farnesyl protein transferase. Donaldson MJ, Skoumas V, Watson M, Ashworth PA, Ryder H, Moore M, Coombes RC. Department of Cancer Medicine, Imperial College School of Medicine, Charing Cross Hospital, London, U.K.
Eur Heart J. 1996 Feb;17(2):317-8. Myocardial infarction with normal coronary arteries in S/beta thalassaemia patients. Aessopos A, Samarcos M, Hadjinikolaou P, Vaiopoulos G, Skoumas V, Kolainis I, Loukopoulos D.
Chest. 1995 Jan;107(1):50-3. Pulmonary hypertension and right heart failure in patients with beta-thalassemia intermedia. Aessopos A, Stamatelos G, Skoumas V, Vassilopoulos G, Mantzourani M, Loukopoulos D. First Department of Medicine, University of Athens, Laiko General Hospital, Greece.
Rev Rhum Ed Fr. 1994 Oct;61(9):645-8. [Kawasaki’s disease in a young adult]. [Article in French] Vaiopoulos G, Sfifakis PP, Skoumas V, Christov E, Doukas E, Kaklamanis P. 1er Departement de Medecine Interne, Faculte de Medecine d’Athenes, Hopital Laiko, Athenes, Grece.
Clin Rheumatol. 1994 Mar;13(1):110-2. Lack of response to corticosteroids and pulse cyclophosphamide therapy in Cogan’s syndrome. Vaiopoulos G, Sfikakis PP, Skoumas B, Kavouklis E, Doukas E, Kaklamanis P. Department of Internal Medicine, University of Athens School of Medicine, Laiko General Hospital, Greece.