Education & Academic Qualifications
- University of Athens Medical School, Medical Diploma 1983
- Alexandra Hospital, Resident in Internal Medicine
- Baylor College of Medicine / MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston,TX 1990-1991. Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation
- Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University in Chicago,IL 1991-1994 Fellowship in Hematology- Oncology Division
- H. Lurie Cancer Center/ Northwestern University, Visiting Faculty Member – Assistant Professor 1994-today
Board / Society Member
- Athens Medical Association
- Hellenic Society of Medical Oncology
- European Society of Medical Oncology
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Hellenic Oncology Research Group
Journal of Oncological Science
- Internal Medicine Resident – Alexandra Hospital University Clinic 1986-1990
- Attending physician – Baylor College of Medicine and MD Anderson Cancer Center Houston, TX 1990-1991
- Oncology Fellow- Feinberg School of Medicine/Northwestern University of Chicago 1991-1994
- Oncology Attending- Euroclinic of Athens Oncology Board 2004- 2011
- Director Oncology Clinic Euroclinic of Athens March 2004- August 2011
- Director Oncology Department MITERA Hospital/HYGEIA Group August 2011- to date
- Fauculty member (visiting) of Feinberg School of Medicine in Northwestern University, Chicago
- «Cancer Forum» Co – ordinator between 2008 και 2010
- President and organiser, 2012 MDcON «MultiDisciplinary care in Oncology» conference with main topic : the new drugs in Oncology and the collaboration between faculties
- President and organiser, 2013 MDcON «MultiDisciplinary care in Oncology» conference with main topic : adaptation as a virtue for modern Oncology in the era of sequencing and targeted therapies
- President and organiser, 2015 MDcON «MultiDisciplinary care in Oncology» conference with main topic : Hope as driving force behind medical decision and the incorporation of Immunooncology into everyday clinical practice.
- President and organiser, 2016 MDcON «MultiDisciplinary care in Oncology» conference with main topic :
Cancer Moonshot , its our responsibility: how we can can exploit the latest therapeutic developments to the benefit of our patients.
- Has tought in many seminars for medical students and Young Oncologists
- Educational supervisor for Hellenic Boards of Oncology 2016-2017. This is the formal institution accredited by the Hellenic Society of Medical Oncology, for the continuing education of young Medical Oncologists.
Clinical and Research Interest
- Head and Neck Cancer
- Breast Cancer
- Gastrointestinal Cancer
- Gynecological & Geniturinary Cancer
- Palliation and Supportive care
- Novel treatments – Immuno-Oncology
- Academic and clinical research in collaboration with Northwestern University and University of Chicago, under Professor Everett E. Vokes, regarding the combination of chemotherapy and radiotherapy in advanced Head and Neck cancer.
- Clinical research regarding the combination of trans-retinoic acid and interferon-alpha in metastatic non small cell lung cancer. Supported in part by the National Cancer Insitute.
ASCO 1993 special investigator award as clinical researcher, for pioneering clinical trial regarding the combination of trans-retinoic acid and interferon-alpha in metastatic non small cell lung cancer.
- Pistamaltzian N, Tzannis K, Pissanidou V, Peroukidis S, Milaki G, Karavasilis V, Mitsogiannis I, Varkarakis I, Papatsoris A, Dellis A, Adamakis I, Stravodimos K, Molyva D, Athanasiadis I, Androulakis N, Andreadis C, Kalofonos C, Mitropoulos D, Deliveliotis C, Constantinides C, Dimopoulos MA, Bamias A. Treatment of relapsed urothelial bladder cancer with vinflunine: real-world evidence by the Hellenic Genitourinary Cancer Group . Anticancer Drugs 2016 Jan;27(1):48-53
- Kourlaba G, Gourzoulidis G, Aravantinos G, Athanasiadis I, Lyman GH, Villa G, Papagiannopoulou V, Tritaki G, Maniadakis N. Cost-Effectiveness Analysis Of Granulocyte Colony-Stimulating Factors For The Prophylaxis Of Chemotherapy-Induced Febrile Neutropenia In Patients With Breast Cancer In Greece. Value Health 2015 Nov;18(7):A456
- Vagia E, Economopoulou P, Oikonomopoulos N, Athanasiadis I, Dimitriadis G, Psyrri A. Androgen-Receptor Positive Lacrimal Sac Adenocarcinoma Demonstrating Long-Lasting Response to LHRH Analog Plus Abiraterone Treatment. Front Oncol 2015 Feb 2;5:10 eCollection 2015
- Nicolatou-Galitis O, Nikolaidi A, Athanassiadis I, Papadopoulou E, Sonis S. Oral ulcers in patients with advanced breast cancer receiving everolimus: a case series report on clinical presentation and management. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2013 Aug;116(2):e110-6
- Athanasiadis A, Tsavdaridis D, Rigatos SK, Athanasiadis I, Pergantas N, Stathopoulos GP. Hormone refractory advanced prostate cancer treated with estramustine and paclitaxel combination. Anticancer Res 2003 May-Jun;23(3C):3085-8.
- Stathopoulos GP, Rigatos SK, Pergantas N, Tsavdarides D, Athanasiadis I, Malamos NA, Stathopoulos JG. Phase II trial of biweekly administration of vinorelbine and gemcitabine in pretreated advanced breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2002 Jan1;20(1):37-41
- Kies MS, Haraf DJ, Athanasiadis I, Kozloff M, Mittal B, Pelzer H, Rademaker AW, Wenig B, Weichselbaum RR, Vokes EE. Induction chemotherapy followed by concurrent chemoradiation for advanced head and neck cancer: improved disease control and survival. J Clin Oncol 1998 Aug16;(8):2715-21
- Athanasiadis I, Taylor S 4th, Vokes EE, Pelzer HJ, Rademaker A, Mittal BB, Ganzenko N, Blough R, Lester EP, Kies MS. Phase II study of induction and adjuvant chemotherapy for squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. A long-term analysis for the Illinois Cancer Center. Cancer 1997 Feb 1;79(30):588-94
- Vokes EE, Mick R, Kies MS, Dolan ME, Malone D, Athanasiadis I, Haraf DJ, Kozloff M, Weichselbaum RR, Ratain MJ. Pharmacodynamics of fluorouracil-based induction chemotherapy in advanced head and neck cancer. J Clin Oncol 1996 May; 14(5):1663-71
- Vokes EE, Athanasiadis I. Chemotherapy of squamous cell carcinoma of head and neck: the future is now. Ann Oncol 1996 Jan;7(1): 15-29
- Athanasiadis I, Kies MS, Miller M, Ganzenko N, Joob A, Marymont M, Rademaker A, Gradishar WJ. Phase II study of all-trans-retinoic acid and alpha-interferon in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res 1995 Sep;1(9):973-9