Centers of Excellence
The Pediatric Endocrinology Department is the first such licensed Endocrine Clinic in the area of private healthcare in Greece.
It covers the entire range of inpatient and outpatient endocrine diagnoses in children:
- Growth disorders (short stature, growth hormone deficiency, tall stature)
- Puberty disorders (delayed puberty, hypogonadism, cryptorchidism investigation, micropenis, hypospadias, precocious puberty)
- Thyroid disorders (congenital and acquired hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, thyroid nodules, pediatric thyroid cancer)
- Adrenal gland disorders (premature adrenarche, congenital adrenal hyperplasia, congenital adrenal hypoplasia, adrenal insufficiency)
- Pituitary gland disorders (hypopituitarism, pituitary tumors, optic nerve hypoplasia)
- Disorders of calcium metabolism (hypocalcemia, hypercalcemia, osteopenia, osteoporosis, rickets due to prematurity, hypoparathyroidism)
- Genetic disorders (Turner syndrome, Williams syndrome, Down syndrome, Klinefelter syndrome, Noonan syndrome, etc.)
- Metabolic disorders associated with hypoglycemia (hyperinsulinism, fatty-acid oxidation metabolism disorders)
• Type 1 & Type 2 diabetes mellitus
A special Weight Control Clinic also operates within the Department. It works closely with a dietitian and a psychologist who specialize in childhood obesity and eating disorders (anorexia nervosa, bulimia, etc.).
The Department also has a Lipid Clinic for monitoring and treating children with primary (hereditary) and secondary (due to nutrition or specific hormonal disorders) hypocholesterolemia. Monitoring includes targeted nutritional advice and pharmacological treatment if necessary.