Investments in new equipment for the timely diagnosis of breast cancer
The Group MITERA-LITO has recently invested a significant amount in the hospital equipment of latest digital mammography platforms.
From the 20th of December 2006 the Group MITERA-LITO is the largest group of obstetrics and gynaecology services with 16,000 deliveries per year. This number represents 50% of obstetrics activity in Athens. The Administrations of these two hospitals since then walk hand by hand aiming at their further development and the provision of quality health services. Within this framework, these two hospitals are equipped with the latest advancements of the medical technology in matters of prevention, diagnosis and intervention.
The digital mammography platform of the General Electric House – Senograph Essential, with which both of the hospitals were equipped, was chosen in comparison with the conventional analogical ones for the following advantages both to the examined woman and the doctor:
- There is at least 40% decrease of radiation level administered to the examined woman in comparison with the analogical mammography.
- Due to the digital form of its data and the capacity to treat them, there is no need to repeat the mammography.
- There is a decrease in the examination time and it gives to the radiologist doctor the possibility to review the images immediately.
- It increases the diagnostic accuracy of the examination.
- It gives the possibility to save the examination results electronically for future reference.
- It gives the opportunity to send an electronic digital copy, when a second evaluation of the diagnosis is required.
- It gives the possibility to use new clinical applications such as Dual Energy Mammography, Tomosynthesis, Contrast Media Mammography.
This particular investment completes the rendered services of the perfectly organised Breast Centres of the two hospitals, which conduct a common workshop on THE IMPORTANCE OF MAMMOGRAPHY IN THE PREVENTION AND TIMELY DIAGNOSIS OF BREAST CANCER
Make Prevention…a Lifestyle
Once again this central message of the informative campaign carried out on the 8th of March 2007, the Woman’s Day, launched by MITERA, HYGEIA, LITO Hospitals (when 1600 free mammographies and Pap Tests were performed on behalf of the Athens Mayor for citizens of Athens) will be the message of the workshop that will take place on Thursday at 12:30 p.m., in the Nicolaos Louros Amphitheatre of MITERA General, Obstetrics/Gynaecology & Paediatrics Clinic.
In particular, there will be a detailed reference to the value of prevention and the possibility to diagnose breast diseases with the help of mammography and also to the fact that the introduction of advanced technology mammography in MITERA and LITO hospitals can have a supplementary function for the Public Sector, aiming always at more efficient provision of higher quality health services in the domain of prevention.
Within this framework, the head of the MITERA Breast Centre Analogical Mammography Department, Dr Asimina Chondrou, will give a speech on analogical mammography platforms, the head of MITERA Breast Centre Digital Mammography Department, Dr Georgia Karvouni, will make a reference to the diagnostic capacities offered by the stereotactic breast biopsy and the Director of the Radiology Department of LITO Obstetrics Clinic, Mr Petros Malakasis will speak about the additional benefits and the capacities offered by the digital mammography. Obstetrician –Gynaecologist, Breast Surgeon Mrs Tsionou Christina will present the clinical physician’s point of view.
At the end of this workshop, the Press representatives will have the possibility to view the MITERA digital mammography platform.
Public Relations Department
Tel 210 6869646-653