Education & Academic Qualifications
- Graduate of the Medical School, University of Athens (magna cum laude, 1983)
- Specialist in Cytopathology (1989)
- Professor of “Applied Sciences (Histopathology)”, Technological Educational Institute of Athens (1987)
- Tutor / Local Lecturer on Pancreatic and Bile Duct Cytopathology, The European Federation of Cytology Societies (3rd EFCS Annual Tutorial, Kymi Greece, September 2010)
- 16th International Tutorial on Clinical Cytology, under the auspices of the International Academy of Clinical Cytology, Vienna, Austria (October 1990)
- 18th International Tutorial on Clinical Cytology, under the auspices of the International Academy of Clinical Cytology, Vienna, Austria (October 1992)
- Training on cell cultures and contemporary molecular biology techniques, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Canada (June-July 1993)
- Training on Liquid based Cytology, Sion, Switzerland (October 1998)
- Training on EUS – FNA Pancreatic and Liver Cytopathology, Institut Paoli – Calmettes, Marseille, France (April 2003)
- 3rd European Tutorial on Clinical Cytology, under the auspices of The European Federation of Cytology Societies, Kymi, Greece (September 2010)
- 30 postgraduate seminars, under the auspices of the Greek Cytology Society
- Participation in 62 congresses (51 Greek and 11 International)
PhD Candidate, Medical School, University of Athens (Thesis: “Mucin Producing Pancreatic Cystic Neoplasms”)
- Member of the Hellenic Society of Clinical Cytology
- Member of the Hellenic Society of Mastology
- Member of the European Federation of Cytology Societies
AD-HOC REVIEWER for peer-reviewed international journals
- Reviewer of “Cytopathology” (journal published by the British Society of Clinical Cytology, on the fields of Pancreatic, Liver and Bile Duct Cytopathology)
- 2013 – today: Head of the Cytopathology Dpt “HYGEIA – MITERA” Hospital
- 1990 – 2013: Cytopathology Dpt. Athens General Hospital “G. Gennimatas”
(2010 – 2013 Director of the Department)
- 1984 – 1989: Resident in Pathology and Cytology (“Aghia Sophia”, NIMTS, “Sotiria” Hospitals)
- Teaching (theory and microscopy) of Residents in Cytopathology and Pathology (approx. 20 during the 23 years of duty in “G. Gennimatas” Hospital)
- Courses for Residents and Specialists in Gynecology, Gastroenterology and Endocrinology on Cytopathology topics, concerning the aforementioned specialties
- Lectures on “Breast Cytopathology” (for two years) and “Soft Tissue Cytopathology”, under the auspices of “G. Gennimatas” Hospital
- Teaching “Pancreatic, Liver and Bile Duct Cytopathology” (theory and slide seminar) for Residents, under the auspices of the Cytopathology Dept, University of Athens (“Attikon” Hospital, Prof. P. Karakitsos)
- Postgraduate education of Cytopathology and Pathology Specialists on the fields of Pancreatic, Liver and Bile Duct Cytopathology
Clinical and Research Interest
- Pancreatic, Liver and Bile Duct Cytopathology (experience on >2500 EUS-FNA pancreatic-liver cases and biliary brush cytology material)
- Cytology of the Female Genital Tract
- Thyroid Cytopathology
- Central Nervous System Cytopathology
- Quality Assurance Systems in Cytopathology Dpts
- Cell Cultures
- Application of Molecular Biology Techniques on Pancreatic, Liver and Bile Duct Cytopathology
- 1st Prize, 9th Panhellenic Congress of Clinical Cytology “Mediterranean Days”
- 1st Prize, 23rd Panhellenic Medical Congress (May 1997)
- Nominated for the 1st Prize of the 13th Interanational Cytology Congress in Tokyo (10 – 14 May 1998), among 7 other studies
- (2013 – 2015) Presentation of four cases on Pancreatic Cytopathology on the electronic platform HIPON PROJECT (European Platform of Lifelong Learning in Histopathology) entitled «HIPON/ E-modules on histopathology: a valuable online tool for students, researchers and professionals. Approved by Education, Audiovisual and Executive Agency, Brussels, E.E. 17.7.2012 (Reference: 531203-LLP-2012-GR-KA3-KA3MP) http://www.hiponproject.eu/
- Titles of the 10 more recent publications (PubMed – >350 citations up to 12/2015)
- Diagnostic accuracy and clinical significance of the fine needle aspiration Ki-67 labelling index in pancreatic endocrine tumours. Kaklamanos M, Karoumpalis I, Salla C, Thomas D, Kanakis G, Alexandraki K, Sougioultzis S, Diakatou E, Kontogeorgos G, Kaltsas G. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2011 Oct 27;18(6):L1-3.
- Endoscopic ultrasound staging and guided fine needle aspiration biopsy in patients with resectable pancreatic malignancies: a single-center prospective experience. Karoumpalis I, Sigalas P, Salla C, Diakatou E, Balatsos V, Zografos G, Delis V. Onkologie. 2011; 34(10):533-7.
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration cytology diagnosis of solid pseudopapillary tumor of the pancreas: a report of 3 cases. Chatzipantelis P, Salla C. Apostolou G, Christodoulou L, Kakiopoulos G, Patralexis C. Acta Cytol. 2010 Sep-Oct;54(5):701-6.
- Fine needle aspiration cytology diagnosis of primary renal lymphoma involving the pleura: a case report. Chatzipantelis P, Mastorakis E, Tzortzakakis D, Salla C. Acta Cytol. 2010 Jan-Feb;54(1):71-4.
- CK19 and CD10 expression in pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors diagnosed by endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration cytology. Salla C, Konstantinou P, Chatzipantelis P. Cancer. 2009 Dec 25;117(6):516-21.
- The role of cytomorphology and proliferative activity in predicting biologic behavior of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: a study by endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration cytology. Chatzipantelis P, Konstantinou P, Kaklamanos M, Apostolou G, Salla C. Cancer. 2009 Jun 25;117(3):211-6.
- Pancreatic metastasis of thymic neuroendocrine carcinoma: is there a role for endoscopic ultrasound?: report of a case and review of the literature. Varytimiadis K, Kalaitzakis E, Salla C, Ghika E, Pandazopoulou A, Karoumpalis I. Pancreas. 2009 Mar;38(2):230-2.
- Neuroendocrine differentiation of anaplastic carcinoma of the pancreas in a case report diagnosed by endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration cytology. Salla C, Sakellariou S, Doumani I, Kakiopoulos G, Chatzipantelis P, Karoumpalis I. Pancreas. 2009 Jan;38(1):103-5.
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration cytology of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: a study of 48 cases. Chatzipantelis P, Salla C, Konstantinou P, Karoumpalis I, Sakellariou S, Doumani I. Cancer. 2008 Aug 25;114(4):255-62.
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration biopsy in the diagnosis of gastrointestinal stromal tumors of the stomach. A study of 17 cases. Chatzipantelis P, Salla C, Karoumpalis I, Apessou D, Sakellariou S, Doumani I, Papaliodi E, Konstantinou P. J Gastrointestin Liver Dis. 2008 Mar;17(1):15-20.