Education & Academic Qualifications
- Protypon High School of ‘Anavryta’ [Yearly Distinction] 1982-1987
- Graduate University of Athens Medical School (Distinction) 1987-1993
- Training in Internal Medicine/Naval Hospital of Athens 1994-1996
- Training in internal Medicine / Elpis Municipal Hospital 1998-1999
- Training in Gastroenterology /251 Air Force Hospital 1999-2003
- Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship, University of Nottingham, UK 2004-2006
- Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship, University of Mainz, Germany 2006
- European Diploma of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2010
- Member of the Greek Gastroenterology Association
- Member of the European Crohn’s and Colitis Organization
Member of the Editorial Board
Scientific Editor of the peer-reviewed journal Annals of Gastroenterology
Bax, Bcl-2, caspase1, caspase 3, cyclin D1, cyclin D3, P27 expression in gastric carcinogenesis
Ioannina Medical University [not finished]
Reviewer of numerous peer reviewed international Journals
Reviewer of multiple peer reviewed international journals
- 1995-1996 Internal Medicine Registrar [Naval Hospital of Athens]
- 1996-1998 Rural doctor [Ios Medical Center, Ios island, Greece]
- 1998-1999 Internal Medicine Registrar [Elpis General Hospital]
- 1999-2003 Registrar in Gastroenterology [251 Hellenic Airforce Hospital]
- 2004-2006 Advanced Endoscopy Fellow, University of Nottingham, Wolfson Digestive Diseases Centre, Nottingham, UK
- 2006 Αdvanced Endoscopy Fellow, Guttenberg University, Mainz, Germany
- 2006-2010 Director of the Endoscopy department ‘Therapeftirio Kypselis’
- 2007-2010 Consultant Gastroenterologist ‘Bioiatriki’
- 2010-2015 Consultant Gastroenterologist and Microendoscopist ‘Mitera General Maternity and Paediatrics Clinic’
- 2014- Member of the Scientific Board ‘Mitera General Maternity and Paediatrics Clinic’
- 2016- Head of the Gastroenterology Clinic ‘Mitera General Maternity and Paediatrics Clinic’
- I have independently performed over 10000 upper GI endoscopies including; oesophageal dilatation, insertion of oesophageal metal stents, variceal injection / banding / histoacryl glue injection / haemoclip / thermal ablation of bleeding gastric / duodenal ulcer and percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) procedures/endoscopic clip placement
- I have independently performed over 10000 colonoscopies including snare polypectomies, EMR, colonic stent placement, stricture dilatations,chromoendoscopy
- I have performed over 300 diagnostic and therapeutic ERCPs.
Advanced Endoscopy skills
- High resolution magnification endoscopy, chromoendoscopy, Narrow Band Imaging, autofluorescence endoscopy and confocal endomicroscopy: These are my major area of interest and have expertise in this new exciting technology to image the GI tract. In Nottingham we were a pioneer center on the area and published the first research papers on zoom endoscopy in the world.
- Ovesco clip placemement for GI bleeding and closure of perforations/leaks/fistulas especially after bariatric surgery
- Endoscopic Mucosal Resection (EMR): I have extensive knowledge of the technique, principles and practice of EMR with experience in oesophago-gastric –duodenal – colonic EMR. I currently perform yearly more than 100 extensive endoscopic mucosal resections in the upper and lower GI tract. My main area of interest are the big flat polyps in the right colon and the dysplastic/early neoplastic lesions in the stomach or esophagus.
- Radiofrequency ablation of dysplastic Barrett’s esophagus. I have been trained and was the first to introduce the RFA method in Greece. I have also used the RFA to treat angiectasias in the stomach in cases refractory to standard treatment with APC.
- Apollo Overstitch system. I have been trained in the use of this system which is a platform to put endoscopically stitches in the GI tract. Utilizing the system I have performed gastric endosleeve procedures for the treatment of obesity and many redos after failed gastric bypass. With the Apollo system we treat also the complications of bariatric operations.
- Endoscopic thermal treatment: I am trained in the principles and practice of Argon Plasma Coagulation.
- GI luminal stenting: I have very good experience in oesophageal/gastric outlet / duodenal/colonic stent insertion.
- Endoclip application: I am trained in the use of endoscopic metal clip application for haemostasis and closure of perforation in the GI tract.
- Hemorrhoidal disease treatment with the HELP biolitec treatment with Laser application
Clinical and Research Interest
- Clinical Interest: Ιnflammatory bowel disease, Colon cancer, Colonic polyps, Hemorrhoidal disease, Barrett’s esophagus, Irritable bowel syndrome, gastric dysplasia, celiac disease, gastresophageal reflux disease…
- Research Interest: My main research interest at the moment is the characterization with NBI and acetic acid of the pit pattern and special characteristics of the serrated adenomas of the right colon [have gained a prize from the Greek Gastroenterology Association]
- Medical School Distinction 1994
- High School Distinction 1987 (yearly distinc-tions from 1982-1987, and distinction in 1985, 1986, and 1987 as best student in class)
- 3rd prize for best oral presentation in 23rd Panhellenic Congress of Gastroenterology 
- 1st prize for best poster presentation in the 1st congress of the Greek society of GI sur-gery 
- Annual scholarship from the Hellenic Gastroenterology Association (2004-2005), to work as an advanced endoscopy Fellow in WDDC, University of Nottingham, UK.
- Olympus Keymed prize 2005 to attend the Beach Congress in MUSC with Pr Peter Cot-ton.
- 1St Prize for best oral presentation in 27rd Panhellenic Congress of Gastroenterology 
- Scholarship from the Greek Gastroenterology Association ‘Characterization of serrated adenomas of the right colon by high definition colonoscopy with NBI and acetic acid chromoendoscopy’ -2015
- Yao K, Uedo N, Muto M, Ishikawa H, Cardona HJ, Filho EC, Pittayanon R, Olano C, Yao F, Parra-Blanco A, Ho SH, Avendano AG, Piscoya A, Fedorov E, Bialek AP, Mitrakov A, Caro L, Gonen C, Dolwani S, Farca A, Cuaresma LF, Bonilla JJ, Kasetsermwiriya W, Ragunath K, Kim SE, Marini M, Li H, Cimmino DG, Piskorz MM, Iacopini F, So JB, Yamazaki K, Kim GH, Ang TL, Milhomem-Cardoso DM, Waldbaum CA, Carvajal WA, Hayward CM, Singh R, Banerjee R, Anagnostopoulos GK, Takahashi Y. Development of an E-learning System for the Endoscopic Diagnosis of Early Gastric Cancer: An International Multicenter Randomized Controlled Trial. EBioMedicine. 2016 Jul;9:140-7
- Magnifying endoscopy for diagnosing and delineating early gastric cancer. Yao K, Anagnostopoulos GK, Ragunath K. Endoscopy. 2009 May;41(5):462-7.
- Yao K, Anagnostopoulos GK, Jawhari AU, Kaye PV, Hawkey CJ, Ragunath K. Optical Microangiography: High-Definition Magnification Colonoscopy with Narrow Band Imaging (NBI) for Visualizing Mucosal Capillaries and Red Blood Cells in the Large Intestine. Gut Liver. 2008 Jun;2(1):14-8.
- Yao K, Takaki Y, Matsui T, Iwashita A, Anagnostopoulos GK, Kaye P, RagunathK. Clinical application of magnification endoscopy and narrow-band imaging in the upper gastrointestinal tract: new imaging techniques for detecting and characterizing gastrointestinal neoplasia. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am. 2008;18:415-33
- Anagnostopoulos GK, Yao K, Kaye P, Hawkey CJ, Ragunath K. Novel endoscopic observation in Barrett’s oesophagus using high resolution magnification endoscopy and narrow band imaging. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2007 Aug 1;26(3):501-7
- Aithal GP, Anagnostopoulos GK, Tam W, Dean J, Zaitoun A, Kocjan G, Ragunath K, Pereira SP. EUS-guided tissue sampling: comparison of “dual sampling” (Trucut biopsy plus FNA) with “sequential sampling” (Trucut biopsy and then FNA as required). Endoscopy. 2007 Aug;39(8):725-30. Epub 2007 Jul 10.
- Anagnostopoulos GK, Yao K, Kaye P, Fogden E, Fortun P, Shonde A, Foley S, Sunil S, Atherton JJ, Hawkey C, Ragunath K.High-resolution magnification endoscopy can reliably identify normal gastric mucosa, Helicobacter pylori-associated gastritis, and gastric atrophy. Endoscopy. 2007 Mar;39(3):202-7. Epub 2007 Feb 1.
- Yao K, Anagnostopoulos GK, Sou S, Nagahama T, Iwashita A, Matsui T. Minimum required resolution standard required for analysis of mucosal microvascular architecture at magnification endoscopy. Endoscopy. 2006 Jul;38(7):757
- Fortun PJ, Anagnostopoulos GK, Kaye P, James M, Foley S, Samuel S, Shonde A, Badreldin R, Campbell E, Hawkey CJ, Ragunath K. Acetic acid-enhanced magnification endoscopy in the diagnosis of specialized intestinal metaplasia, dysplasia and early cancer in Barrett’soesophagus. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2006 Mar 15;23(6):735-42.
- Aithal GP, Anagnostopoulos GK, Kaye P. EUS-guided Trucut mural biopsies in the investigation of unexplained thickening of the esophagogastric wall. Gastrointest Endosc. 2005 Oct;62(4):624-9